Domain Name is one of the top important factors in blog or website because, itself it’s a branding factor, It’s very important to buy the right domain, so that audience or visitor will remember your website easily & for a longer time and also from SEO side. Today I am going to explain how to choose a domain name for your blog or website with good domain names examples.
For the blogger who wants to apply for Adsense, it is important to have own domain. I hope through my previous tutorial on How To Create Blog With Google Blogger Free in 10 Min tutorial and Creating Professional Blog through you are now ready to launch your blog or website with the stunning domain name. So read my below post.
What is domain:
A domain name is nothing but your website name or your website address. A domain name is an address of your website, where Internet users can search and then come to your website. It is used to share your address with visitors so that they can reach to you directly or through the search engine. A domain name can be a combination of letters and numbers.
Domain Name Parts:
A complete domain name is a combination of protocol+sub-domain+domain-name+top-level domain, please refer below image for better understanding.
Here you can see how a domain name is a combination of multiple elements. The protocol is used to connect your website to the server. subdomain help to connect root website with root domain, nowadays it’s not necessary to type while opening website. Domain name is the actual address of your website or blog. Top level domains are the extension of domains, which speak about a domain name.
There are the different category of the domain name, Based on people perception and usages it is divided into several parts.
Basically, the domain name is of two type: Top Level Domain & Sub Domain.
- Top Level Domain:
- ccTLD – country code Top Level Domains – .au, .in, .uk
- gTLD – generic Top Level Domain – .com, .net, .biz, .org, .info
- Second level – domainname.com.au, domainname.co.in
- Subdomain name – blog.example.com, english.example.com
Domain Name Represents
- .co : an abbreviation for company, commerce, and community.
- .info : informational sites.
- .net : technical, Internet infrastructure sites.
- .org : non-commercial organizations and nonprofits.
- .biz : business or commercial use, like e-commerce sites.
- .me : blogs, resumes or personal sites.
- .edu : educational sites.
- .gov : government sites.
- .com : commercial sites.
How Domain Name Impact on Branding:
A good domain name creates interest among customer or visitor mind if your domain name is sort, simple, creative and easy to remember then people will remember you for a longer period of time. So it automatically creates an impact and set positioning amoung customer mind.
If you see top brands like Flipkart, Amazon, eBay, Samsung, Apple etc. you will understand these domain names are sort, simple and easy to remember. And some creative domain name is also very popular like Red Chilly, Shoutmeloud, Godaddy. These names are crazy and catchy but very popular. It creates a different impact on customer mind so that people remember them.
Your Domain name speaks about you:
Your domain should tell users about you, what your website or blog is all about. Below see the example of Apple and Unilever brand. How they are managing their product segment with one domain and giving the right information to right customer under one roof.
Apple used to sell many products but once you reach to apple.com, it will show you all its product category and some popular products, so like this your brand name should also give the proper information about your blog or website. So that visitor will get the right information and engage them in reading more content. It will create interest and automatically they will remember for a long time your name or domain name.
Best domain name selection rules & tips:
There are certain things you need to keep in mind while selecting a domain name, here are the Top 12 Tips for Choosing the Perfect Domain Name for blog or website.
- Keep it short – Always try to keep your domain name sort so that its always easy to remember by listening to it once or twice.
- Make it easy to type – Avoid using the complex name, special characters or words so that it’s easy to find and type for users.
- Use keywords – Best SEO Practice if you can add keywords to your domain, for ex: BikeRepair.com if your business is about bike repair, Like this you can select.
- Target your area – If your business target audience is limited to particular area then its a best SEO practice to include location name like hyderabadbikes.com
- Avoid numbers, special characters, and hyphens – Special characters are difficult to remember and type so visitors avoid using this. Try to avoid using these things while selecting the best domain name for your blog or website.
- Be memorable in One Time– Try to use the words or line, which user can remember for a longer time. Like Amazon, Flipkart, paytm.
- Research it – It should not be a trademarked, copyrighted or being used by another company, please check everything before buying otherwise you may come across legal issues. On 2016 PayPal has filed a case against Paytm in the Indian trademark office for using a logo similar to its own.
- Appropriate domain name extension – Use the best extension which describes about your work from .com, .in, .edu, .org, etc.
- Protect your brand – Purchase various domain extensions, as well as misspelled versions of your domain name so that anyone else cannot use your visitor.
- Make it intuitive -Your domain name should give people a strong idea of what a website will be about.
- Be Creative, Unique and Brandable – Building a distinct brand that stands out from your competitors is no easy task, try to find a unique and creative name so that you can make it brandable easily.
- Availability on Social Media Sites – Check the domain name is available in social media as a username or not, because many people search on social to know more about your blog or website.
- Use Domain Name Tools – Do a Research & Select best tools for domain name selection, use them and select the best domain name for your blog or website. Check below the list of best domain name selection tools.
Final Word – Here is top things to keep in mind but the main Priority based on the selection in location, keyword, business you decide the domain name.
Domain Name Generators Tool
- Lean Domain Search – Suggestions – Pre & Post, Social Availability.
- Name Mesh – Common, New, Sort, Fun, SEO friendly.
- Wordoid – Language, Quality, Pattern, Length.
- Dot-o-mator – combine & suggestion.
- NameStation – Suffix, Prefix, Combine, Related, Alternative.
- Domainhole – Spinner, Spinn, Bulk Domain, Expire Domain.
The best place to buy domain name 2017:
As per service and features, here is the list and these stores are going to become the best place to buy a domain in 2018 too in less price & better service:
Please watch video for understanding how to select best domain name:
For WordPress blogger & developer you need to have a domain name and hosting before hosting your website to the server.
I hope my article helped you to understand the domain name concept and on0 selecting the best domain name for your blog or website. If you are still facing any problem in domain selection, please comment below. I will help you.